Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Grandparent and Grandchild Bond

It seems like every day I hear more or see more grandparents raising grandchildren and I feel so fortunate all over again. Last night I had the opportunity to volunteer for a wonderful organization that helps women with breast cancer financial and personally plan for their children’s well being. The holiday party for this organization was last night and it was filled with children, adults, music, food and most of all, love.

I was assigned arts and crafts with the children. About one hour into the party, a very shy nine- year old girl came up to me and just stood next to me. I looked down and asked her if she would like to make a hand puppet together. She shook her head yes so I started to pick up the glue and markers. As we were busy making the best hand puppet of the evening, I asked Alexis, my new nine year old friend, who was she here with? She looked up at me and said my grandmother and two sisters. I felt the bond immediately and now I knew why, we were both raised by a grandparent.

I spent the next three hours with Alexis making a paper hat, playing basketball, throwing a football and trying to see if she would dance. She smiled twice, once when she made a basket at the basketball game and the other when I hugged her goodbye. Alexis and I share a bond even if we are years apart in age. A grandparent stepped in because a parent was no longer part of our life for whatever reason.

I meet Alexis’s grandmother and gave her a huge hug. I felt as if I was hugging my grandfather all over again. I told her thank you for taking care of Alexis. She thanked me right back for spending the whole evening with her granddaughter. As I hugged the family goodbye, I looked around the large room where the party was and felt so incredibly thankful. I felt as if my life was insignificant and the only purpose is to keep paying it forward by helping other people.

As Alexis was walking out she turned and smiled one more time and I told her to listen to her grandmother because she will learn so much. The bond is everywhere and it is amazing what it can do to a person’s life

1 comment:

Sheri at Maximum Impact said...

Robin, I can certainly relate to the bond people have when they have been influenced by grandparents. Grandparents, if you listen, provide great wisdom and life lessons that only age can bring. I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents growing up and they exposed me to cultural events and provided a historical perspective that I am forever grateful for. I will never forget the love and teachings of my grandmother especially, she taught me to appreciate board games, opera, scrap booking, sewing, Black History, fine china, homemade brownies and ice cream as well as homegrown fruit and vegetables. She and my grandfather only played classical music and told us their record player didn’t play that “other kind of music.” My grandmother died at 95, still making homemade rolls almost to the very end. She also taught me the importance of living life to the fullest. That is my most favorite lesson of all.