Search This Blog

Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Fly

This holiday season felt different for me than the last two years. Of course, Grandpa was not with me to share it with or play cards while the food was cooking but it was as if he was there the whole time in different shapes and people that have entered into my life. I know that he is watching over me and placing blessings in my life that will help me always feel his presence. I felt his presence this Christmas morning.

I awoke Christmas morning reminded of a conversation I had with my grandfather the month before he died. I was sitting next to his hospital bed holding his hand thinking about the afterlife. I wanted to know he would still be with me even after his death. I finally asked, “How will I know you are with me after you die?”

He turned his head gently on the hospital pillow, patted my hand in reassurance, and made a “buzzing” sound through his closed teeth. “I will be flying around looking over you like an angel. I will be the fly circling around that you just can’t swat away!”
“Grandpa, a fly?” I laughed. “How did you think of that?”

This Christmas morning, two years later, I got a call from my Aunt Linda and Cousin Steven to tell me an enormous fly was in their home in cold New York. I simply said, “Grandpa.” Then as I walked into my sister’s house, I noticed a fly circling in the kitchen. I looked up to the sky and said “I love you Grandpa, Merry Christmas.”

Happy Holidays and wishing you a very Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is coming along really nice. I hope to help you with your book soon.