Search This Blog

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Being Raised by My Grandparent

My grandfather has been the only father I have really known since I was 16. He provided me the wisdom, guidance, and love to help me through the tough time in life as well as celebrate the joyful occasions. In the U.S., more than 4.5 million children are being raised by grandparents. In fact, President-elect Obama was raised partly by his grandmother. His bond with her was so tight, that he suspended his campaign for part of two days and went to visit her at her apartment where she was in hospice care. Grandparents raise their grandchildren for reasons such as death, divorce, child abuse, neglect, or abandonment. For me, I was just happy that my grandfather took the time to help raise me. Grandparents raising grandchildren offer them a special bond that will impact their lives forever.

My Grandfather passed in 2006 and there is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about something he taught me or hope that I have the kindness and compassion that he had his entire life. Grandparents teach their grandchildren the foundation skills of helping other people, being kind to others and for me learning how to develop relationships with unconditional love.

I am writing a memoir about the bond between a granddaughter and a grandfather. The Only Father I’ve Ever Known: How My Grandfather's Love Taught Me Life is my personal story about how my grandfather’s love profoundly made a positive difference in my life. It is my story of a women who becomes unrecognizable to herself and only through her grandfathers dying days re-establishes the bond they had so many years ago. It focuses on a diary my grandfather left me upon his death from WWII that truly transformed my life. His writing becomes a touchstone for his unconditional love and offers a lesson for creating a fulfilled and meaningful life.

So, for all those grandparents out there, thank you for being who you are and you truly are an angel on earth.

The book will be available soon. Please email me with any questions at garofalorobin@gmail.com

No comments: