Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Story of Thanks this Thanksgiving Day




Happy Thanksgiving- A Granddaughter’s Story- Robin Garofalo


That is my grandfather, James Garofalo, on the left with his best friend, “Mac” in North African 1943 fighting WWII. My grandfather was a top turret gunner for the B-25 Desert Warrior serving with the British Army in N. Africa. My grandfather rarely spoke of his time at war and when he passed 3 years ago left me all his memorabilia to include a diary which documents six months of the war from April 1943 to Sept 1943. He speaks of the end of the N. African War, the invasion of Sicily, being shot down twice, losing his best friend Mac over Sicily, and flying General Patton. He logged 193 hours and 73 missions receiving the Purple Heart and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

My grandfather lost Mac over Sicily July 10, 1943 and was left to battle alone without his comrade in the hot Sicilian sun. The diary entry for July 10, 1943 reads:
"This is one day I’ll never be able to forget. It beats ‘em all- we went out to bomb the air drome at Trapani- god what A/A & lights. We started our bomb run and ran right into 24 search light- they had us-but good he put the ship over on its nose and down we went. We hit over 400mph. The guns went off. Everything went flying. Talk about being scared- man alive- what an experience- took 10 years off my life. We got out at last full of holes but okay. Lucky guys. We lost Mack though. Lt. Fredd never came back. Guess they got him. Poor Mack. I gave him my cigarette ration just before we took off. Sure does get you."

I have been gathering my grandfather’s pictures, albums and diary to put into a memoir for the last two years but my mind cannot stop thinking about “Mac” and who he was or where his family is today. I started my search to find out what happened to Mac on July 10, 1943 and any hope of finding his family. I researched everything I could find about Mac or Macarson as my grandfather indicates in his picture album that was missing in action July 10, 1943.

I find a picture of an older woman receiving the Purple Heart for her son Alvin Macarson who was killed in WWII and listed as a staff sergeant on the B-25 Mitchell bomber- same as my grandfather! I search more to find a November 25, 2000 posting on ancestry.com by Alvin’s niece, Sarah Moore, about her uncle and any information or pictures anyone might have regarding her uncle’s death. I quickly write Sarah back hoping that perhaps she might still be on this site after nine years. I hear back instantly and Sarah is now 82 and amazed that after all these years information on her uncle, Alvin Macarson, is found. She writes “It is unbelievable that we can learn something new about Alvin after all these years. His younger brother is now 89 and recently went to live at a care facility. I was a high school student at the time he was reported MIA. I am 82, have mobility problems, but still alert.”

After all these years to find out and see a piece of their brother and uncle they never knew existed and for that matter I never knew existed is amazing. Sarah writes “I have often heard of stories of people finding people and secretly hoped that I would be that lucky some day. Now I can say that I have experienced the thrill of finding someone important! Your grandfather is a jewel for keeping all of these treasures. And you are the lucky one to be the recipient of his careful keepsakes. I hope you do write a book about his treasures!”

Sarah called me the next day to talk more about her uncle Alvin and how my grandfather held memories her family never knew existed. She told me how Alvin was a fun-loving, sensitive uncle who fought for freedom in both the Navy and Army during WWII. As tears came to my eyes, Sarah asked me "now tell me about your grandfather and his life." I was numb and quickly felt selfish. My grandfather was one of the lucky ones and he was able to create a life for his family and me. I feel like I owed it to Mac and Sarah to do more everyday, say thank you to people, smile more, tell my friends and family I love them and above all give back to others. This book is a way of giving back to one family and hopefully millions more.

I wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Robin Garofalo

Facebook fan page: My Grandfather’s Love
Blog: http://mygrandfatherslove.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Robin Garofalo said...

Nice to meet you as well. I am so happy you enjoyed this story and my blog.... Robin