Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Granddaughter's Story

I have been working on the book and trying to find the right voice as well as title to show the beauty of the relationship between a granddaughter and a grandfather. I decided to open the diary again and re-read a passage in hopes that my writers block might end. This time I focus on the contents of the diary- what exactly was my grandfather saying? who was he with? what battle is he referring to? and how is he feeling? I flip to July 10, 1943 where my grandfather writes about his plane being shot down by enemy fire and crashing. I go to Wikipedia and google the N. African war in 1943 and this is the day of the Allied invasion of Sicily. As I read through the historical account of the invasion on Wikipedia it makes the war seem so black and white. I flip back to my grandfather's diary to see the real fear of war, fear of dying and being hit. I also read about the fear of loss- my grandfather lost his best friend that day over Sicily July 10, 1943 when their airplane was shot down. I could feel his pain and sorrow through the letters and words on the page. He was heartbroken.

I think about the loss we feel today when a love one, friend or parent passes. Last summer I felt an unbearable loss. My first boyfriend and one of my closest friends, Benny, past away on a motorcycle accident. I was numb and really did not believe it could be true. How could this happen? Why did this happen? And again I turn to the diary for strength. Strength in my grandfathers words that helped him get through the war without his best friend. He was alone and left to battle the hot Sicilian sun without his comrade. I feel the same way.

Ever since Benny's death, I have been attending church every Sunday to pray to a higher power and God. I know that Benny and Grandpa are together watching over me and I am blessed to love them both and have them in my life.

The book, A Granddaughter's Story, will be published in the spring of 2010

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are moving forward with writing your book.

Robin Garofalo said...

Hi Yvonne,

yes, I am working on it but would still love your experience. Let's talk soon about ghostwriting