Search This Blog

Saturday, August 7, 2010

I feel a little Eat, Pray, Love!

Well, I just returned from Italy (with my mom and close friend Karen) and I feel like Elizabeth Gilbert in the the book Eat, Pray, Love. I spent two fabulous weeks eating my way through Italy and learning about my Italian roots. I arrived in Rome and quickly hopped on a high speed train to Florence. My grandfather always said his favorite city in the world was Florence and he was right. We walked along the Ponte Vecchio bridge, saw the David in all his glory, and had a private wine tour through Tuscany. As I was experiencing all of this and truly trying to be present with the moment, I thought about my grandfather. How did he see this beautiful city? and what about it made him love it? I felt like the craziness of NYC was starting to disappear and I was connecting to my Italian ancestors. We left Florence and headed cross country to Montorio

Montorio is a small town on top of a mountain almost 700 feet about sea level. We drove for over 8 hours from Florence to Montorio with very little expectations. We were going to visit close family friends who were on holiday in their hometown of Montorio. The journey was not easy. We were deep in Italy where no tourist would travel and English was not their first or second language. We got lost, then found our way, then got lost again until we saw a town on top of this enormous mountain. All we could see was the top of a Church. Could this be it? Who lives up there and how do we get there?

From the distance the church was getting closer and closer but still so far away. We finally arrived at our destination and this small town had the most amazing charm, elegance and beauty I have ever experienced. The people's warmth towards complete strangers was something I just was not used to. I started to slowly let my New York guard down and allow them in. I ate gelato in the living room of an Italian women, drank homemade wine,walked the town in complete awe and drank water from a man made fountain. The history was beyond anything I imagined it would be in Montorio. After one day, we all wanted to stay longer in Montorio. We changed our plans and stayed for another 2 days. I swam in the Adriatic sea, had lunch on the beach and danced in the piazza to Italian music. I was free!

I felt free- free from society's rules, works deadlines and above all free from myself. The limitations I put on myself because of fear. I did not have one fear at all for 2 weeks. I allowed myself to just be. It is incredibly hard to maintain this feeling inside of you. A feeling that I can do anything I want. Quit my job, move to Montorio, finish this book and just try to find me. Discovering life and really feeling the joy of who I've become.

I always felt myself and free around my grandfather. He was simple, loved life, loved his country and loved me. He never asked for anything more than he needed. He would say "it's not necessary" and that is how he lived his life. I'm not sure in the end he felt free throughout his whole life but reading his diary he was fearless. I could sense his passion for fighting the war and his feeling of being completely free to carry out his dreams. I pick up the diary just to feel it and remind myself of Montorio and the experience I had. An experience of asking yourself, can I be really free?

The two weeks are over and I am back to reality in a sense. Back to work, the subways being late, training for the marathon, and of course the awful jet lag! But in the end, I ate in Italy and Prayed(meditation mostly on the beach.) I did not find love but that's OK because I feel love and I love the person I am

Ciao

Robin

4 comments:

susanjane said...

What a wonderful story about your Italian vacation. I hope to visit Italy, again, and I will be sure to travel up to Montorio. I met your blog because of your Grandfather's experiences in WWII. My Daddy was in Sicily, 1943. By the way, I listened to "I feel a little Eat, Pray, Love" -- fantastic. Susan

linda said...

Robin....I absolutely love your writings.The love you feel for your grandfather is almost tangible.My husband's relationship to his grandpa mirrored yours.Every summer growing up in Brooklyn his grandparents were so proud to show off their grandsons all over Italy.The last month they would settle in grandpa's house on the side of a mountain in Potenza.A little town full of all our aunts,uncles and cousins.There is where memories of a lifetime were made.Thank you bringing me back to a time that is so cherished.I cannot wait to purchase your book.....Linda...P.S..We Italians have an awesome heritage!! lol

Robin Garofalo said...

Susan Jane

Thank you so much for following my blog and being part of this story with me. Italy was amazing and I would highly recommend Montorio as a place to visit. Were you daddy in the same division as my grandfather? Let me know and I can look up the information.

I am in the process of finishing the book. Hopefully by the end of the fall

Thank you for your support and encouragement.

Much love and appreciation

Robin

Robin Garofalo said...

Linda,

Thank you for the kind words and I am so happy you love my writing. Sometimes you wonder if it connects to a read or perhaps is just words.. So thank you!

We have amazing heritage!! It was great to feel Italy and the warmth of the people. And thinking that my great-grandfather left Italy over a hundred years ago with only 7 dollars in his pocket traveling alone headed for America. What courage!

I look forward to the book's completion. My anticipated date is Jan 1.

How did you hear about this blog? Just curious

Thank you for your support, encouragement and comments

Robin